SEARCH

Subscribe

RSS Feed

Sub by Email

Twitter Me

INTERVIEWS

Peter Higgins, author of Wolfhound Century

Myke Cole, author of Shadow Ops Series

John Brown John, translator of the Zamonia Novels

Jim C. Hines author of Libriomancer

Nick Harkaway author of Angelmaker (review here)

Martha Wells author of The Cloud Roads

David Tallerman author of Giant Thief

Mazarkis Williams author of The Emperor's Knife

Rob Ziegler author of Seed

Steven Gould author of 7th Sigma

Douglas Hulick author of Among Thieves (review here)

Mark Charan Newton author of Nights of Villjamur (review here)

Kameron Hurley author of God's War (review here)

Brent Weeks author of The Black Prism (review here)

Anthony Huso author of The Last Page (review here)

Brandon Sanderson author of The Way of Kings (review here)

Lou Anders Editor of Pyr Books

Ian Tregillis author of Bitter Seeds (review here)

Sam Sykes author of Tome of the Undergates (review here)

Benjamin Parzybok author of Couch (review here)

Kristine Kathryn Rusch author of Diving Into the Wreck (review here)

Ken Scholes author of Lamentation

Cherie Priest author of Boneshaker (review here)

Lev Grossman author of The Magicians (review here)

Character Interviews

Alexia and Lord Maccon from Gail Carriger's Soulless

Lord Akeldama from Gail Carriger's Soulless

Eva Forge from Tim Akers's The Horns of Ruin

Atticus from Kevin Hearne's Hounded

RECENT REVIEWS

The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson

Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Year Zero by Rob Reid

Alif: The Unseen by G. Willow Wilson

Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Control Point by Myke Cole

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway
My BlogCatalog BlogRank Wikio - Top Blogs - Literature

Behold My New Bookshelves!!!

As this post goes live I will be on a short vacation, but clearly I have not forgotten you, my loyal readers. I could never. The night I was packing my now built-in bookshelves were just about finished. A few details are still to come, but the below shows the close to finished product. Some may remember that I purchased 4 bookshelves from Borders during their going out of business sale. That's right even though Borders is gone they will not be forgotten, at least in my house. I purchased them even though I had no place for them at the time with the plan of installing them in my next house. They sat for months in a dusty corner of a warehouse my company was kind enough to let me use. Just recently I put my old place on the market and moved into the house I'll eventually buy (when my place sells) and had them installed along with some other remodel work we wanted done to the room.

Now behold!!!


Seen above is now what I referring to as "The Library." This is a long-time dream coming true. A very talented friend is doing all of the remodel work and started by chopping off the top 6 inches or so of the bookcases in order for them to fit in a room with a slightly lower than average ceiling. They are being finished off with gorgeous stain grade trim wood top and bottom.  I chose a red-ish stain for the trim to make it standout against the light birch of the cases. Want a close up of that trim work? I thought you would.


Jealous yet? I thought so. At the very top is what is known as dental trim. It is called dental apparently because it looks like rows of teeth. So my shelves now have quite a bite to them. Below that is a trim piece with a nice leaf design that goes along with other fixtures already in the room or to be installed.


None of the shelves are sorted at this point except for this one with a lot of my favorite genre books from the last few years, which still needs to be monkeyed with a bit more.  That white door leads to a catchall closet with lots of storage space  and is what I now called "The Hypercube." Why? Because why not?

"Honey, where do you want this box?"
"In the Hypercube."

And if you were curious these cases comprise about half of my book collection. Across the room are my old freestanding cases, which are not quite as packed as they once were.

You Might Also Like:
What Author Haven't You Read But Should? Or What is Your Greatest Shame?
REVIEW | The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Bibliomania Quote from The Library by Zoran Zivkovic

11 comments:

Mieneke van der Salm said...

Very cool! I wish mine looked as nice and organised :-D

Woodge said...

Oooh. Color me jealous. Sweet to have a library, never mind a new house to do it in. Looks like a lot of your books are either hardcovers or large paperbacks. Oof. Can't be fun to move those.

Todd said...

Very nice! Love the extra touch you added to the top of them.

SunnyReads said...

So.
Freakin'.
Jealous.
Congrats!!

xaraan said...

very cool, love the trim work

(got mine up in our new apt. this year too, no fancy trimwork though) http://i.imgur.com/ZSXLE.jpg

Sharon said...

Wonderful! Yes, I am jealous! :)

Ken said...

This is awesome. I'm going to that when I get a house someday.

James T Kelly said...

That, sir, is a thing of beauty. I'd love to have a library, and I'd love even more to have it made of old bookshop shelves. You and your books and very lucky.

Also, loving the "Hypercube" name.

Mad Hatter Review said...

I'm not sure how organized it is at the moment, but it is getting there. The grand plan is putting them all in alphabetical order (at least the books I've read).

I do have a preference for HC and PB. As I get older I find it harder to read mass markets. It was not fun to move all the books, but I had a hand-truck so that helped a lot plus a couple strong friends.

@Jeremy: Very sweet. Now that is an orderly collection.

Cassandra @ Book & Movie Dimension a Blog said...

It looks pretty good.
Like Todd mentioned just love the top. Has a nice wood finish.
And the books looks pretty great up there. Fantastic space.

Unknown said...

Nice shelves you got there! Certainly, your book collection is both astounding and very well organized. Being a collector and a reader means that we have to keep the quality of the book - from its cover down to its pages - by properly placing them on an adequate shelf, which should be regularly cleaned. Thanks for sharing! :)

Fletcher Hevey @ Concord Supplies